Translate

Friday, March 6, 2015

Meditation can do that miracle.

IT IS VERY EASY FOR ME TO SAY, ”AH, I HAVE NOT BELIEVED IN GOD SINCE I WAS A CHILD, AND EVEN THEN I WAS NOT SO SURE.” BUT THIS HABIT OF THE MIND TO TRY TO TURN THE MYSTERIES INTO SUPERSTITIONS IS VERY DEEP-ROOTED AND SLIPPERY. THE OTHER NIGHT WHEN YOU WERE SPEAKING I WAS REMINDED OF THE OCCASIONS WHEN I HAVE ATTRIBUTED THESE QUALITIES OF OMNIPOTENCE, OMNIPRESENCE, OMNISCIENCE TO YOU; OR WHEN THOUGHTS OF YOUR DEATH HAVE FILLED ME WITH FEAR AND DREAD MUCH MORE THAN THE LOSS OF ANY GOD. IT SEEMS THIS DISEASE OF GOD IS HIDING DEEP IN THE BONES AND POPS OUT LIKE SOME OBSCENE INTRUDER WHEN I LEAST EXPECT IT AND WHERE I CERTAINLY DON’T WANT IT.

It is easy to change your prisons. The new prison looks better. It is easy to change your chains, your slaveries, because any slavery, howsoever different from the old one, is still deep down the same – and that’s what people go on doing. Hindus become Christians, Christians become Hindus. They are only changing their slavery. They are only changing their prisons, they are only changing their handcuffs, their chains. Nothing is changed.

So when you hear God is dead and your intellect is convinced that God never existed, he is nowhere to be found... it is simply intellectual conviction. But you are not just intellect; you are emotion, you are sentiment, you are feeling, which is deeper than intellect. And the concept of God has entered into your emotions, into your sentiments, into your feelings. The intellect is the surface of your mind, and you may be convinced logically, rationally, there is no God.

One of my friends, an old man, very intelligent, used to be a follower of J. Krishnamurti, and was of the same age as J. Krishnamurti. I came into his life when he was very old, but he started coming to me. He was intellectually a giant, convinced that there is no God, no hell, no heaven, no morality, that this is all social convenience.

His son was the attorney general of the state where I was living. The supreme court of that state was in the city. One day he came running to me, they lived just five minutes walking distance. And he told me, ”My father has had a great heart attack and the doctors are worried that he may have another attack coming. He is so weak and he has suddenly remembered you and wants you to be there.”

So I went, running with him. As I approached... they had put the whole room in darkness, an airconditioned room. I stood at the door, I heard some sound. That old man was repeating, ”Hare Krishna, Hare Rama.” I could not believe it. His whole life he was denying, denying, denying and now he was repeating, ”Hare Krishna, Hare Rama.”

I went very slowly, not to disturb him, sat by his side, listened closely that he was repeating, ”Hare Krishna, Hare Rama.” I shook him. He opened his eyes. I said, ”What are you doing? Just one heart attack and your whole philosophy gone?”

He said, ”This is not the time for discussion. And this is not the time to take any risk. Just leave me alone; just sit by my side and let me pray to God. I know intellectually there is no God. But who knows? What is the harm? Anyway I am dying. It is better to repeat his name. If he exists, it will be helpful; if he does not exist, what is the harm? I just repeated a few times his name, that’s all.”

I said, ”This is not the question. It is a question of your whole integrity. You are a very split man.” It was only intellect. That’s what I have been saying to you again and again, that this is intellectual rationality. And that was the failure of J. Krishnamurti. He was only talking to people intellectually, convincing them intellectually, but he had no method, no meditation that people could experience deeper than feeling. People can go deeper than the heart. They can reach to their being and only then a tremendous light arises which is unwavering; whether death comes or a heart attack comes, it makes no difference.

And he became okay. After a few days he came to see me and he said, ”Don’t tell anybody.”

I said, ”I am going to tell everybody and I am going to send the message to J. Krishnamurti.”

And I did. I said, ”These are your followers, lifelong followers. And you have depended on these people.”

And Krishnamurti’s last statement before he died agreed with me. His last statement was, ”I am dying a frustrated man. People have used me as entertainment. Nobody has listened.” But it was not the fault of the people. It was his own fault. He was just talking to them intellectually; he never gave them any indication to go deeper.

Unless you go deeper, you will shift your projections from one to another. If there is no God, you will make me your God. And certainly I am not God. I have never created this ugly mess that you see around the world. I never created Adolf Hitler, Genghis Khan, and Tamerlane, and Nadirshah and Benito Mussolini. I never created these people. Don’t make me responsible.

And I am not omnipotent. I am just sitting in my chair, that’s all. Omnipotent means I will need a chair in which the whole universe fits. And I am not omnipresent. I am not a peeping Tom to look into your bedroom. That’s what God used to do, watching you even in your bathroom through the keyhole.

I am not omniscient either. I don’t know what is going to happen next moment. I am simply human, just awake, just fully alert, conscious and responding to life moment to moment according to my awareness, my consciousness; just a pure mirror reflecting whatever comes in front of me. Don’t project anything on me.

But I can understand your trouble. Your trouble is you are convinced intellectually, but you have not known the truth from deeper sources of your being. You have to know through meditation that there is no God; existence is self-sufficient, it does not need any God, any fiction.

Once this happens inside you at the deepest core, you will never project the same old stupid superstitions again. Only meditation can bring a metamorphosis to your being. Krishnamurti died a failure because he never thought that he is only dealing with people’s intellect. Intellect is part of the mind, and Krishnamurti never helped anybody to go beyond mind.

I suspect perhaps he himself never got beyond the mind. Otherwise, how can he miss it? If he had gone beyond the mind, then his whole effort would have been a long life of ninety years to help people go beyond the mind. When you start looking beyond the mind, there is no God, but this existence becomes so beautiful, so intelligent, so charismatic, so self-sufficient, it needs nothing else. But only meditation can do that miracle.

God is Dead, Now Zen is the Only Living Truth 98 ♡♥Osho♡♥

No comments:

Post a Comment